There’s nothing more awkward than having a gathering with friends and family go awry because your septic tank is not up to standards. Your septic tank system is crucial to maintaining local groundwater quality, and keeping your in-home plumbing from backing up.
Why Should I be Concerned about Septic Tank Maintenance?
Septic tank maintenance is vital in preventing pollution of groundwater, which could in turn threaten the quality of drinking water. Large sludge and scum build ups are also major hassles, but Burke Septic & Pumping is here to do pumping regularly.
Getting your system pumped at least every three years is recommended. This can vary depending on the size of household and septic tank and the amount of wastewater used and level of wastewater solids, but 3 years is the maximum. Waiting longer can lead to a malfunctioning septic tank, resulting in legal issues and reduced property values.
What Can I Do to Maintain My Septic Tank System?
Key ways to maintain your septic tank include:
- Avoiding flushing down chemicals such as detergents and bleach, as well as grease
- Keeping the tank tightly closed to avoid water, light, or air coming through
- Buying toilet paper that dissolves easily
- Trying to conserve water to prevent overloading your system
- Writing down descriptions of inspections, and previous maintenance, repairs, and pumping
- Having your septic tank system inspected annually by Burke Septic & Pumping
Why Do I Need to Call Burke Septic & Pumping?
Performing regular maintenance is helpful, but problems may still arise. A couple of major signs that you need Burke Septic & Pumping to do maintenance or repairs include:
- Pooling of water or muddy soil around your septic system or basement
- Back-up of toilet or sink whenever you flush or do laundry
Be aware that signs of other issues may not be easily detectable. You may not be able to to detect when partially treated wastewater is seeping into groundwater, putting wells and other nearby water sources at risk for contamination. A septic tank failing in this manner will either need maintenance or complete repair and replacement depending on the severity of the problem. It’s well worth your time and money to trust this task to the professionals, we’ll determine the problem right away, and give you the best options on how to solve it.